Saturday, August 25, 2007

First Week!

Hey everybody! I hope everybody is ready for school, summer is almost over! I had a couple stops before I even reached Tokyo. I had to stop in Chicago, San Francisco, and then finally to Narita Airport in Tokyo! I lot of exchange students exchanged their money in the airport, but I chose not to because I was afraid that I would lose out on money (rates). Therefore, this week(i am in osaka as of now), I will exchange my American money into yen in Osaka. We took a bus to our destination. It was maybe a hour or two drive? I fell asleep on the bus. There were many things that were different as I saw outside the window. There are MERCEDES BENZ EVERYWHERE!!!! I was so surprised! You could just count them all. There are a lot of Benz, Audi, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Nissan. Japanese people drive on the left side. And, you can either have a car that you can drive on the left or right seat. (I thought that was pretty cool that you can choose.

We ended up at Tokyo's Olympic Stadium . There are many dormintories and buildings and lots of nature that is included. I have pictures... I will upload them soon. We arrived there at around 8pm. Basically in this four day orientation, we learned to get over the jetlag, meetings about culture and expectations, and of course Japanese tutoring (KUMON). The returnees (college students who volunteer due to past-YFU-studying abroad-experiences) were really great! Kota, Kyo, Erico, Erica, and Hiro! The last day of orientation, we had to learn the Bon Odori dances, those were fun, (well at least that is what I think), also we had a farewell party. In the farewell party, each person had to do a talent for at least 1 minute. I was going to sing Kim Bum Soo -I miss you... but guess what? I TOTALLY freaked out! I never had this much stage fright. It was soooooo bad. I was so embarassed!!!

Saturday (yesterday), I had a flight to Osaka (Itami). My host mother and youngest sister and one of the customer/friend/driver was there! The welcome sign was really cute! They mispelled "welcome" as "welcom" hehehee XD. Anyways, it was maybe a 25 to 30 minute drive to their house. They live just outside Osaka, so like the suburbian area.

Guess what? Their house is a stand-still food shop in the back of the house, and in the front of the house is a SAKE/BEER SHOP! I was like, holy crap! lol. Upstairs is the house. I will take pictures of it later! I will be attending Matsubara High School, and will be using a bicycle as transportation. I will be starting sometime next week? or 2 weeks? Something like that.

I had takoyaki yesterday! It was SOOOO good!!!! =) Osaka is #1 for their food in Japan.
Sweet, huh?

This morning I watched a junior high's soccer tournament game! Omg... those junior high kids are better than America's SENIOR high school teams! The soccer ball was ALWAYS in the air, and EVERYBODY used their head, like multiple times! Usually in our high school teams.. there are only like 2 people who uses their head once in a while.. lol. It was really cool.

Btw. It is REALLY hot in Osaka. I am sweating 24-7 here. Food is great, host family is great.
I hope everybody is doing okay. I miss you guys! I'll update pictures later in the day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

omg your alive! lol i'm glad as is well :D

박지희 said...

Ya Cee !! glad to hear that you got there safely! have fun =D

Anonymous said...

heyyyy!
i want japanese food T.T
you get to ride a bike to school?!
lucky...
post up your pictures woman!
anyways have lots of fun and lots lots of good food!
stay healthy and remember! use the elbow!